Cruise Packing List for Kids
Wondering what to pack for a cruise with kids? Packing for a cruise with kids requires a little more stuff than if you’re traveling without them but it’s easily done. Our cruise packing list for kids will help you work out exactly what to take on a cruise with kids.
This kids cruise packing list covers the clothes you’ll need for a warm weather cruise to the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico or the Mediterranean in summer. We’ve also added in some items that you’ll find useful when taking kids on a cruise to allow for quiet time in your cabin after a busy day or as entertainment on travel days.
Here’s a list of things to add to your family cruise packing list when taking your kids on cruise.
Tip: Pack for multiple family members easily by using colored packing cubes. Each family member gets their own color!
Cruise Packing List for Kids
Cruise Clothes for Kids
Cruise wear for kids is pretty casual. They’ll spend their days mostly in the kids’ club, in the arcade, by the pool or off on excursions with the family. Pack lightweight and cool kids cruise clothes. Shorts & tees and sundresses make ideal cruise kids clothing. There’s no requirement for kids to wear long pants in the main dining room as their is with adults, they’re fine in shorts.
For a 7 day cruise with kids you will need the following clothing on a warm weather cruise:
- T-shirts x 8-10
- Shorts x 4-5
- Sun dresses for girls x 4-5
- Short sleeved shirts for boys x 2-3
- Jeans for boys (to wear on non-formal night or cool evenings)
- Party dress for formal night for girls x 1-2 (if you plan on dressing up!)
- Shirt, tie and pants for formal night for boys (if you plan on dressing up!)
- Sweater or cardigan x 1-2
- Leggings for girls x 1-2 (for the plane / travel days / cool evenings)
- Track pants for boys (for the plane / travel days)
- Light waterproof jacket or poncho (it’s hard to find these in kids sizes when you need them)
- Sneakers (some activities like zip-lining / ropes courses require closed-toe shoes)
- Aqua shoes (if you’re planning an excursion that requires them)
- Underwear x 10-14
- Socks x 4-5
- Sleepwear x 2
- UV swimsuit x 2-3
- Sunhat x 1-2
Tip: Pack everyone’s sleepwear in one packing cube and all the swimwear in another. You’ll most likely need everyone’s sleepwear and swimwear at the same time so this makes things easier for parents!
What to Pack for Kids on a Cruise
- Seabands for kids
- Ginger candies (if your kids don’t find them too spicy!)
- Snacks for embarkation / travel day
- Walkie Talkies – Useful for communicating on the ship with older independent kids
- iPad and case
- Download Netflix / iTunes shows and movies
- Drink bottle
- Binoculars – These make good cruise gifts for kids if you’re looking for something to give them!
- Post It notes
- Water wings / arm bands for the pool
- Swimming goggles – Pools onboard are usually salt water and quite strong
- Card games – Uno, Sushi Go, Monopoly Deal
- Travel chess / checkers
- Coloring books /activity books
- Colored pencils
- Small toys like cars or dolls
- Books for bedtime stories
- Stickers or something “home” themed to hand out to any friends they might make
- Baby wipes – A few travel sized packets for shore excursions and travel days
- Medication such as children’s Tylenol, allergy medicine, inhalers etc
- Hair detangling spray and detangling brush – Useful after a day at the beach or pool!
- Kids backpack for all their things
- Packing cubes – Choose one color for each family member to keep their clothing organized
Tip: Pack for multiple family members in one large suitcase rather than trying to wheel several smaller ones. Go for a 28″ or 29″ case like this.
What to Pack When Cruising with Small Children & Babies
In addition to the above items, if you’re taking a cruise with young kids or babies you should add the following to your list:
- Diapers & wipes – If you’re cruising with small children pack as many diapers and wipes as you’ll need for the entire cruise, plus a few extra.
- Swim diapers – Children who aren’t potty trained can NOT use the ship pool but there may be opportuities to swim on your excursions so pack a few swim diapers
- UV swimsuit and hat x 2
- Baby sunscreen
- Baby sunglasses
- Stroller with a sun shade
- Baby food & spoons – You can order things like mashed potato, plain pasta, vegies etc in the dining room for babies on solids
- Bottle brush, a small dishwashing liquid and drying rack
- Sippy cup
- Baby blanket / snuggly
Tip: There’s no need to bring your own pack n play or port-a-crib as they are provided by the ship. Ask your cabin attendant to set it up after you arrive if they haven’t already.
Cruise Checklist for Kids
Download our cruise checklist for kids and add this to your cruise packing list to create a family cruise packing list. We recommend printing off packing lists so you can start to collect all the items you need for your cruise with plenty of time to spare.
If you have any tips for cruising with kids and what to pack, let us know in the comment sections below. If you’ve got a question then let us know! You can leave a comment below or join our cruise packing group on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!